Whatsapp policy is directly benefiting other competitors like Telegram and Signals. People from all over the globe are switching towards Telegrams and Signal. WhatsApp is currently the largest messaging service in the world with over 2 billion monthly active users. Telegram has around 400 million users, while Signal has around 20 million monthly active users.
WhatsApp has everything you would need on a social messaging service including the new in-app payments feature. Group chats work with up to 256 members. You can broadcast messages to multiple contacts, support voice and video calls, both for individuals and groups.
- Group video calls (8 users at any time)
- WhatsApp Status feature (also called WhatsApp stories)
- Whatsapp allows you to share all sorts of files and documents (upto 100MB)
- Photos, videos and audio files can be shared upto 16 MB
- You can share live location with your contacts
- Backup and restore messages and data via cloud services like Google Drive and iCloud
- WhatsApp uses end to end encryption (E2E) for communication: messages, video calls, voice calls, photos and anything
- WhatsApp uses E2E protocol developed by Open Whisper Systems, same as Signal
Telegram offers support to groups with up to 200,000 members. Known for its large and massive groups, Telegram offers multiple group-specific features such as bots, polls, quizzes and hashtags, extensive for large group experiences.
- Self-destructing messages, where the message will get deleted after a point of time
- The size limit for sharing files on Telegram is 1.5 GB
- Supports voice and video call on Android and iOS devices
- Telegram supports E2E only secret chats feature
- The company confirmed it shares 0 bytes of data with third-parties or any governments till date
Coming to the latest member, Signal offers secure messaging, voice, and video calls with end-to-end encryption. You can create groups, but can’t broadcast messages to multiple contacts at once. Signal also has added support for group calling.
- Supports self-destructing messages
- Note to Self to share your own thoughts and ideas without creating single member groups
- Signal allows relay voice calls to its servers, identity is not shared, same as using a VPN
- Signal uses back-end user-facing encryption service
- It uses the open-source Signal Protocol to implement end-to-end encryption
- Signal also encrypts your metadata offering multiple levels of security